Tuesday 6 February 2007

Summer's here already!

So far everyone I have had a video conference has said that I don't look very tanned. It's time to put the record straight on this - it's not that sunny here you know! Up to recently it's been raining a lot here, though I think we're coming out of the monsoon now and it's actually divine at the moment temperature and humidity wise. I've added a weather ticker to the blog so you can see what it's like here. This apparently doesn't last and it gets quite sticky as summer (such as it is) approaches. However Malaysia and Indonesia are under 3 plus metres of water (not sure if this is news in the UK) and literally 400,000 people have been evacuated in both countries.

Before I left the UK I bought an umbrella from James Smith and Sons and it's a magnificent beast. A Malacca cane handled 10 rib monster, that defeats even the hardiest monsoon downpour with impunity. The only problem is that the rain hits so hard that you can't be protected from the rebound, and your ankles get soaked. I've actually had to wade across a stream that was once Cairnhill Road when the rain got especially heavy. So with all the rain, you'd think it was pretty miserable right? Not so. It seems that if the rain is nice and warm, it doesn't get to you like the rain in the UK that penetrates your warmest jacket and chills you to the bone. You can still go out when it rains and wear shorts and flip flops.

An ode to the umbrella. And why you should own at least 4.

Video of Singaporean Monsoon



It's odd though because when it's sunny every day I feel no desire to go and smother myself in SPF and hit the loungers, because you know it'll be sunny tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day. The other thing is, being equatorial the sun here is FIERCE when it comes out. In fact, when I have had opportunities to sun bathe (like Thailand over Xmas/ NY) I've tended to stay in the shade as much as possible, just because UV ages your skin terribly. You become conscious of your hands being in the sun and start using sunscreen on them. You do attract a tan just by being outside skating or wakeboarding etc but even my moisturiser is SPF20. However, it's fair to say that with the amount of sunshine you get your fair dose of vitamin D and vitamin happy. Maybe that's why Singaporeans are for the most part, a pretty happy bunch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving your posts - they make me feel very nostalgic for Singapore...

Thanks for the CNY card! Have you bought your orange tree and pussy willow branches yet...?

Claire